Monday, June 27, 2011

RANT: Some Nice Tunes I'm Listening Too

I've been catching up and revisiting a lot of old music lately. I've been left out of the cold sonically for a while  because i can only listen to the radio in the car and my ipod broke. Luckily my lovely girlfriend Jackie let me borrow her ipod. So i've been catching up on things at work. As well as listening to too many giant bomb and talkradar podcasts. Anyways, here's some gems i've been enjoying lately and recommendations to everyone. you know, if you're into that sort of thing.

Moving Mountains- Waves

At first I wasn't too sure about this album. It's way different from their previous efforts but still very much the same. It's old moving mountains, with lots of appleseed cast like hooks. But this is much more aggressive than anything they've ever put out. I've given this album a good listen to about 5 or 6 times now and it continues to grow on me. Imagine appleseed cast with a little yelling and that's what you get in Waves.


Fireworks- Gospel

Just like the moving mountains album. I wasn't sold on this at first either. But it took time to grow on me. This effort by Fireworks is much more mature. Not quite the same transition brand new made between your favorite weapon and deja entendu. But it's similar. It's got all the same great poppy hooks and melodies. But the songwriting seems more grown up. It still makes you reminisce and feel younger than you are. But at the same time it feels more mature like yourself. It's like that time in your life in your mid 20's where you leave your childhood and enter total adulthood. I don't know if that makes sense. And if you're too young to understand you will someday.

Talib Kweli- Gutter Rainbows


This is one of the best hip hop albums I've heard in years. I admit I've been a big Talib Kweli for the better part of the last decade. But he just has this thing that few other entertainers in general have. People tell you about rappers that are intellectual and everything. But no-one is like Talib. He isn't going to rap about quantum physics but he will tell you about real life problems in a very witty way. Everything from a soldier who comes home and doesn't know what to do with himself. To the hardships of poverty.  He has some of the smartest best thought out rhymes i've heard from anyone and at times can rap at a very quick pace. Something a lot of rappers can't put their head around. This may just be my favorite album of the year so far. I'm glad their is still good hip hop in the world. P.S. Radio rap fucking sucks and always will.

Make Do and Mend- End Measured Mile


This album came out what.... like a year ago. And i still listen to it almost every day. Everything to the aggressive upbeat riffs to the most sincere lyrics. If Hot Water Music and Small Brown Bike had a baby. I'd imagine this is what it would sound like. I highly recommend listening to this if you haven't already. I'm very excited to see what this band brings in the future.

Billy Joel- Everything He's Ever Done


Cause Billy Joel is the fucking man.

1 comment: